By Esther Boateng
If casseroles never went out of fashion in your household, you’ll feel right at home with Poulet Breton, a type of casserole you cook in the oven. Take a few pieces of chicken thighs, cider, if you choose to use it, cream, and a dollop of deliciously tangy mustard for extra flavor.
If you prefer to skip the cider, you can swap it out for chicken bone broth and still enjoy a wonderfully tasty meal that goes well with rice or mashed potatoes. Why not go all out with the French cuisine theme and pair it with creamy dauphinoise potatoes?
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 carrot, thinly chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
4 + Tbsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden A2/A2 Ghee
- 6 chicken thighs
Dr. Cowan’s Garden Pepper Salt, to taste
- 1 can of apple cider or approximately 2 cups (optional)
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
1-2 Tbsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Gluten-Free Flour or arrowroot
1 Tbsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Summer Savory Powder
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and press garlic.
- Clean any debris from the carrot, and thinly chop.
- Clean the leek, cut off the bottom and any other gnarly parts, and thinly slice.
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil to a pan (enough to coat the bottom of the pan), along with chicken and pepper salt, and brown the chicken over medium heat for a few minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ghee, garlic, onions, leek, and carrot to a pan, and sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables are tender. If necessary, add extra ghee or a small amount of bone broth to stop the vegetables from sticking to the pot.
- If you’re using cider, add 2 cups to the vegetable mixture.
- Turn up the heat, and let the mixture reduce by about a third.
- Add 2 cups of broth.
- To thicken the sauce, add 1-2 tablespoons of flour or arrowroot powder and stir.
- Add chicken, Horseradish, Summer Savory powder, and Dijon mustard and stir.
- Add 1/2 cup of cream.
- Do one last taste test, add additional seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven proof dish and bake in the oven for at least 30-35 minutes.
- Serve warm.