Refreshingly Healing Citrusy Ceviche
- 1/8 cup Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 pound wild caught shrimp
- 1/2 pound bay scallops (if using sea scallops, quarter them)
- 1 lemon juiced and 1/2 zested
- 2 limes juiced and 1 zested (plus one for service)
- 2 oranges juiced and 1 zested (plus two for service/garnish)
- 1/2 cup peeled and seeded diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 seeded diced tomato
- 1/8 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. Dr.
Cowan’s Garden Organic Flax Seed Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Threefold Blend Powder (Spicy)
1/2 tsp. Dr.
Cowan’s Garden Threefold Blend Powder (Slightly Sweet)
1/2 Tbsp. Dr.
Cowan’s Garden Sea-Vegetables Powder
- 1-2 Tbsp freshly chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 1 Haas avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips, bagel crisps, or savory cracker of choice
- Prepare your mise en place (gathering everything in place).
- In a stock pot, add 1/8 cup of salt to 4 cups of water, bring to a boil. Add the shrimp, remove from heat, and wait 3 minutes. Remove shrimp and plunge in an ice bath to stop cooking. Drain and cut to medium dice (about 1/2 inch pieces).
- In a medium size bowl combine the citrus juices and zest, cucumber, onion, tomato, shrimp and scallops. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, Organic Flax Seed Oil, Threefold Blend Spicy, Threefold Blend Savory, and Sea-Vegetables Powder.
Cut the avocado into 1/2-inch dice and set aside. Pour the small bowl ingredients into the medium bowl and stir until well combined. Gently fold in the avocado and cilantro. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Taste, then salt and pepper accordingly.
Prepare your supreme orange garnish: Cut off all the orange peel. Set orange on the side so that the core is facing you. Carefully run your knife on both sides of the membrane that separates the fruit sections. Remove supremed pieces as you go and set aside.
- Quarter the lime and orange.
- To serve, gently scoop ceviche into a serving dish. Squeeze the juice from 1/4 fresh lime and 1/4 fresh orange over the ceviche. Top with one or two orange supreme sections and freshly chopped cilantro. Serve with crisp of choice.