By Esther Boateng
Pour your heart and soul into this fast and easy recipe and end up with a tasty appetizer that's bound to be a crowd-pleaser. You only need a loaf of your favorite sourdough, French baguette, or ciabatta; top it with a generous portion of your shrimp mixture and bake it in the oven for up to 20 minutes until the shrimp is cooked throughout; it’s that simple.
I like to add an egg to the shrimp mixture when I blend it, but this optional. I’ve made it with and without the egg and the difference is negligible; if anything, the egg keeps the shrimp topping slightly moist. When it comes to mixing the shrimp mixture, try not to over blend. If you prefer not to use a food processor, cut the shrimp into small pieces and use a fork to combine the ingredients. Be generous when you pile the shrimp mixture on top of the bread, as it will slightly deflate and pull away from the edges when baked.
If you like well-seasoned shrimp, marinade them overnight or for a few hours. Feel free to prepare the shrimp mixture ahead of time and leave it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. Due to the nature of freshly cooked shrimp, you’ll want to eat it the same day and avoid re-heating any leftovers.
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
1 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Organ-Based Seasoning
1 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Whole Leaf Dried Sage
1/2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Pepper Salt
- 2 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 egg, cracked (optional)
- 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
1 Tbsp. A2/A2 Dr. Cowan’s Garden Ghee, melted or room
1 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Whole Leaf Dried Sage, crushed
1 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Wild Ramp Powder
1/4 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Sea-Vegetables Powder
- Marinated shrimp (see recipe above)
- 2-3 slices of your favorite bread
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds for the topping (optional)
- Salt to taste
Drizzle Dr. Cowan’s Garden Black Sesame Seed Oil
Shrimp Marinade Ingredients:
Shrimp Topping Ingredients:
Shrimp Marinade Instructions:
- Mix all the ingredients except the shrimp together in a bowl. This is your marinade.
Add the shrimp to the bowl and mix in the marinade until completely covered.
Cover the bowl and leave in the fridge overnight or for a few hours.
Shrimp Topping Instructions:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Crush the garlic.
- Crack one egg (optional).
- Trim the scallions, remove any gnarly bits and chop.
- Add the crushed garlic, scallions, egg, ghee, sage, ramp, and sea vegetable powder to a food processor, and blend for a few seconds until the ingredients resemble a chunky paste.
- Remove the marinated shrimp from the marinade mixture and add it to the fresh shrimp topping mixture you just blended.
- Spread the shrimp mixture onto your bread base, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked throughout and feels firm to the touch.
- Drizzle with black sesame seed oil and serve warm.
- Sprinkle salt to taste (if needed).
I like to transfer the shrimp to a glass container with the lid securely fastened before I put it in the fridge.