By Esther Boateng
Enjoy your spring salad with a sizzling steak, or a chunk of chargrilled chicken; alternatively, skip the meat altogether and top with crushed sprouted almonds, lightly toasted pine nuts, or mashed avocado and a poached egg. This recipe calls for Carolina Gold Rice, but you can swap with bulgur wheat, barley, buckwheat, or amaranth; all are worthy contenders.
The same goes for parsley. Traditional tabbouleh recipes use plenty of parsley, but feel free to replace this ingredient with spinach or enjoy a mix of both. Go ahead and make your own vinaigrette; it adds a tangy touch to this refreshing spring salad.
Tabouleh Spring Salad
- 1/2 cup Dr. Cowan’s Garden Carolina Gold Rice, uncooked
(or bulgur wheat, barley, buckwheat or amaranth)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 parsley bunch, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Pepper Salt
1/4 cup Dr. Cowan’s Garden Crispy Sprouted Organic Almonds
- 2 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts or walnuts (optional)
1/4 cup Dr. Cowan’s Garden Certified Organic Five Seed Oil
Blend or olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- 2+ Tbsp. lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to taste
1/4 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Dandelion Powder
1 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Wild Ramp Powder
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1/2 + tsp. salt to taste
Add oil to a small bowl, add crushed garlic, dandelion powder, wild ramp, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and salt, and whisk until combined. Add additional seasoning if necessary.
- Measure out half a cup of uncooked rice and cook according to packet instructions.
- Add your rice or preferred grain to a bowl.
- Crush the garlic.
- Dice the cucumber into smallish chunks.
- Thinly slice the green onions.
- Wash and chop the parsley.
- Add all these ingredients to a bowl along with pepper salt and mix.
- Pour dressing over the salad, and garnish with crushed almonds and/or toasted pine nuts and serve with a protein.