- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, diced
- ¼ cup Dr. Cowan’s Garden Pumpkin Powder
- 3 to 4 cups whole milk or coconut milk
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, more to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Dr. Cowan's Garden Tomato Salt
- 1 tsp Dr. Cowan's Garden Pepper Salt
- 1 tsp Dr. Cowan's Garden Leek Powder
- 1 tsp Dr. Cowan's Garden Kale Powder
- 1 tsp Dr. Cowan's Garden Swiss Chard Powder
- In a large skillet, sauté bacon till cooked. Place on paper towels to drain. Cut into pieces when cool.
- Pour off all but about a tablespoon of the bacon grease and sauté onions till soft. Remove onions from skillet. Add sausage, break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula and brown over medium heat until no longer pink; add the cooked onions and bacon.
- Reduce to low heat and add the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle on half the Pumpkin Powder and stir so that the sausage soaks it all up, then add more little by little. Stir and cook for another minute or so, then pour in the milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook the gravy, stirring frequently, until it thickens (this may take 10 to 12 minutes).
- Stir in all of the Dr. Cowan's Garden salts and powders, black pepper and cayenne pepper. If it gets too thick, add a splash of milk.
- Spoon the sausage gravy over warm biscuits, polenta or rice and serve immediately.
See also: Pumpkin Creme Brûlée Recipe