- 1 lb hot pork sausage
- 1 tsp Dr. Cowan’s Garden Wild Ramp Powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 lb wild mushrooms (chanterelle, oyster, shiitake or other), cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup Carolina Gold rice
- 1 quart chicken bone broth
- 2 tbsp white wine, chardonnay or Pinot Grigio
- 1 Tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream or crème fraîche
- Chives for garnish
Dr. Cowan’s Garden Burdock Root Powder
- In a large saucepan, heat the ghee over medium. Simmer the sausage until browned. Break apart with a spatula and continue to brown. Once cooked through, put into a bowl for later.
- In the same pan on medium, add the butter and simmer the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. When the mushrooms have lost their moisture, add the rice and toast until translucent.
- Add the fennel seeds and then the white wine, and scrape the pan with the spatula for browned bits. Allow it to reduce completely until there is no more liquid left.
- In batches, with the heat on medium-low, ladle in the bone broth to cover. Allow to reduce almost completely before adding another ladle full.
- Continue adding broth until the rice is cooked through and plump. Add the Wild Ramp Powder, Burdock Root Powder (if using), smoked paprika and sausage. Continue to simmer for about three minutes before turning the heat down to low.
- Add the cream or crème fraîche and remove from heat, stirring to combine.
- Top with chives and serve warm.