Buttermilk Pie Crust:
- 2 ½ cups pastry flour
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 7/8 cup buttermilk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp maple sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple brandy
- 8 apples cored and chopped (Liberty, Braeburn, Jonagold, or other type)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp gelatin
For the crust
- In a food processor combine the flour, maple sugar, salt, and butter and pulse until the butter is about the size of small peas. Add the buttermilk slowly until the mixture comes together to form dough.
- Turn out on a counter and form two dough balls. Press together until all the cracks are no longer visible but avoid working the dough too much. Do not knead.
- Let the dough sit out on a counter for 2-4 hours and then refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to rolling. Roll into two large circles.
For the filling
- While the dough is sitting out, prep all your filling ingredients. Add the apples, maple syrup, brandy, gelatin, and spices to a stockpot with a lid. Simmer on low for 25-30 minutes or until the apples are soft. Allow it to rest until room temperature.
- Press one dough crust into the bottom of a pie pan. Add the filling and cover with the other dough crust. Poke or cut holes in the top for a steam vent.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until the crust is deep golden brown.
- Allow pie to cool in order for it to firm up. Serve luke warm with homemade vanilla ice cream.