- ¾ cup purée made from Dr. Cowan’s Garden Three-Beet Powder (see Directions below)
- 4-ounce dark-chocolate bar
- ¼ cup coconut oil (more for greasing pan)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour (more for dusting pan)
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup quinoa or almond flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- The night before, make the beet purée by adding 1/8 cup boiling water to 1/16 cup Dr. Cowan’s Garden Powder; whisk and refrigerate overnight, covered.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan on lowest heat, or over a double boiler set over boiling water, melt the chocolate bar with the coconut oil. Stir till completely melted and blended.
- Add the maple syrup and stir till combined. Set aside.
- Grease an 8-by-8-inch square pan with coconut oil and coconut flour.
- Whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated.
- In a medium blow, whisk together the 2 tablespoons of coconut flour and the quinoa (or almond) flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Add the chocolate-egg mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Stir in the beet purée, then add the chocolate chips and stir gently to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes, until a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired.
More from: recipe