By Esther Boateng
What type of seafood floats your boat? Shrimp, calamari rings, scallops…? Maybe it’s all the above. Whatever your preference, reel them all in and anchor them on top of a bed of kelp noodles, steeped in a simple tomato-based sauce.
If you have time to make your tomato sauce from scratch, great; if not, the store-bought version also works. For a spicy kick, season with Pepper Salt, Threefold Blend Powder (Savory), and perhaps Three Beet Powder.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 Tbsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Certified A2/A2
Ghee + 1-2 Tbsp. for sautéed seafood.
1 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Sea-Vegetables
2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Threefold Blend
- 1/2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Pepper Salt
1/2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Three Beet Powder
1/2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Turmeric Powder
1 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Whole Leaf Thyme,
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (or approx. 1 cup of tomatoes)
- Up to 1 cup filtered water
- 1 packet kelp noodles, rinsed and prepared according to package instructions
- 1/2 - 1 cup of seafood per person
- Peel and dice onion and crush garlic cloves.
- Add ghee to a moderately heated pan and sauté onions and garlic for a few minutes or until tender.
- Add Sea-Vegetables powder, Threefold powder, Pepper Salt, Beet, Turmeric, and thyme, and continue to stir.
- Stir in tomatoes and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add a small amount of water to prevent sticking.
- Do a taste test, add additional seasoning of choice if necessary, and let it gently simmer while you prepare the noodles and seafood.
- Prepare noodles.
- Sauté seafood in a pan with a knob of butter and an additional pinch of Pepper Salt for a few minutes until cooked.
- Mix in the cooked seafood or pile on top of the noodles and sauce and serve warm.
• To avoid a slightly bitter taste and crunchy texture:
o Place rinsed noodles in a bowl.
o Add 1/2 tsp. baking soda and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the noodles.
o Pour on boiling water and entirely cover the noodles.
o Let rest for 60 seconds.
o Rinse, drain, and use as desired. No further cooking is necessary.
• If you only want to use half a packet of kelp noodles, submerge the remainder in a bowl of water and store in the fridge until you’re ready to use it the next day.