By Esther Boateng
A little seasoning is all you need to enhance the taste of this quick side dish. I like the compactness of the mung beans and okra. You can also substitute the mung beans with other legume varieties, such as sea island red peas or adzuki. I prefer to use a small amount of liquid to get a stew-like texture, but feel free to add more liquid if you prefer a broth-like consistency. Serve warm on a bed of broccoli sprouts, greens or with rice.
Mung Bean Medley
- 1 cup legumes, cooked (mung beans, sea island red peas, adzuki or other)
- 1 cup okra, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Whole-Leaf Dried Sage
! tsp. Dr.
Cowan’s Garden All Purpose Organ-Based Seasoning
1 tsp. Dr.
Cowan’s Garden Organic Carrot Powder
3-4 Tbsp. Dr.
Cowan’s Garden Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp.+ Dr. Cowan’s Garden Pepper Salt
- 1/4 cup+ bone broth
- 1-2 cups broccoli sprouts (optional)
- salt to taste (optional)
- Cook legumes according to package instructions.
Wash and slice okra.
Peel and dice onion.
Press garlic cloves.
Add oil to a moderately heated pan and sauté onions, garlic, and okra for a few minutes or until tender.
Add sage, organ-based seasoning, carrot powder, pepper salt, and bone broth, and stir.
Do a taste test and add salt or additional bone broth if necessary.
Serve on a bed of broccoli sprouts or with a protein.