Soups and Stew
- 1 lb ground beef
- 5 cloves garlic, whole, peeled
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp Dr. Cowan's Garden Pepper Salt
- 6 to 8 various chilis
- 2 small bell peppers, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, quartered
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups cooked Great Northern beans
- 2 12-oz beers, i.e., pale ale. with mild flavor
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 2 oz pancetta or bacon, diced
1 Tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the ground beef and brown well. Set aside in a bowl and strain off the fat.
- In the same Dutch oven, add the ghee or butter. Once melted, add the pancetta or bacon and simmer for a few minutes till cooked.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir and add the beer.
- Add the bay leaves and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the beans and cover; return heat to very low heat. Cook for another 2 hours on low, and then break apart the apples.
- Add salt and pepper as needed.