Poached Pear and Lingonberry Pie
4 large pears, cored and peeled (underripe is best)
3 cups lingonberries, frozen blueberries, cherries, or other berry
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup water
1 lemon rind, grated
1 tbsp gelatin
2 star anise pods
1 large stick cinnamon
2 cups pastry flour
1 tsp sea salt
¾ cup buttermilk
½ cup butter cold
1 tbsp cream
1 tbsp maple sugar
- In a medium stock pot, combine the pears, lingonberries or blueberries, lemon rind, maple syrup, water, star anise, and cinnamon and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat as much as possible and simmer for 25-30 minutes
or until the pears are very soft.
- Scoop out a few tablespoons and combine with cool water and gelatin to bloom the gelatin. Once bloomed, add it to the pear mixture and stir to combine. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer or bowl, combine the flour, salt, and butter. Mix with a fork or use a food processor to blend until the butter is about the size of small peas. Add the buttermilk and mix with a wooden spoon until it comes together.
- Shape into two disks and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Roll pie dough and press into a pie dish.
- Add the filling and cover with the second pie dough.
- Mix the egg, cream, and maple syrup together and brush over the top of the dough. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the pie to cool and set completely before cutting.