- 3 over-ripe Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and halved
- 2/3 cup 100% dark-chocolate chunks
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter + 1 Tbsp for the pan
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 Tbsp pear brandy, Poire Williams
- 1 Tbsp Dr. Cowan's Garden Three-Beet Powder
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder for pan dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a tart pan spread the tablespoon of butter on the bottom liberally. Sprinkle the cocoa powder over the bottom and onto the sides. Discard any excess.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together over very low heat or in a double-boiler pot, stirring to combine gently. Once melted, add the brandy and allow to cool.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and maple syrup until frothy and lighter in color. Slowly add egg mixture to chocolate and whisk to incorporate. Immediately add Three-Beet Powder and almond flour. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites to form a soft peak. Do not overwork. Fold into cake batter in 2 batches, incorporating gently.
- Arrange the pear halves in the bottom of the tart pan. Pour the cake batter into the middle and around the sides.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until pears are soft and lightly brown. Allow to cool completely.
Serve with whipped cream or crème fraiche.
See also: Jolly Green Cookies Recipe
More from: recipe