By Esther Boateng
Turn your plate of veggies into a nutritional powerhouse with warming spices like turmeric and a splash of cumin seed oil. I’m a huge fan of classic creamy coleslaw, but sometimes it’s nice to switch things up with this slightly sweet and spicy version. For extra heat, mix in additional Pepper Salt or a small amount of freshly grated ginger. Any freshly squeezed citrus fruit works: lemon, lime, orange juice, or even grapefruit, although you might need extra sweetener if you use the latter.
Raw honey or maple syrup is optional, but I find it helps to balance the flavors and adds a delicious subtle sweetness. Whether you eat this coleslaw on the same day or the day after, it tastes amazing, especially when topped with almonds or warm toasted pine nuts. Turn this side into a quick supper by adding a protein such as shredded rotisserie chicken or grilled bacon.
Serves up to 4
Coleslaw With Carrot Turmeric Dressing
1/2 cup Dr. Cowan’s Garden Olive Oil
1/4 cup Dr. Cowan’s Garden Black Cumin Seed Oil or Dr.
Cowan’s Garden Black Sesame Oil
1 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Organic Turmeric Powder
1 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Organic Carrot Powder
1/4 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Threefold Blend Powder (Slightly
1/4 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Three-Beet Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Pepper Salt
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp. maple syrup or raw honey with bee propolis
- 1/4 cup Dr. Cowan’s Garden Crispy Sprouted Organic Almonds, crushed, or a handful of toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 medium carrots, washed and grated
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced and cooked (optional)
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Handful pomegranate kernels (optional)
Instructions for Dressing
- Pour olive oil and cumin seed oil into a small bowl.
Add Turmeric powder, Carrot powder, Threefold Blend Powder (Slightly Sweet), Three-Beet powder, Pepper Salt, lemon juice, grated ginger, garlic, and sweetener, and stir well.
Do a taste test and add salt (to taste) or additional sweetener if necessary.
Instructions for Coleslaw
- Peel and thinly slice the onion and cabbage.
Grate the carrot.
In a medium bowl, add the onion, cabbage, and carrots.
Pour the dressing mixture over the raw vegetables and gently toss with a spoon or lightly massage with clean hands.
If you’re using cooked mushrooms mix them in now.
Garnish with crushed almonds, lightly toasted pine nuts or pomegranate kernels.
Served as is or with a protein.
Put a handful of almonds in a sealed Ziploc bag and bang them with a rolling pin until slightly crushed.