Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
- 1 whole chicken + extra chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, skin on
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- Arrange the potatoes and garlic in the bottom of a large clay pot with a lid (any roasting pan is a fine alternative). Add the butter and rosemary.
- Place the chicken on top of the potatoes and garlic. Stuff with the lemon quarters and pat the chicken dry. Sprinkle the skin with salt and pepper and close the flaps.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours. The first hour, cover with the lid, and then remove the lid for the second hour. After uncovering, bake until the skin is crispy and amber brown.
- Allow it to rest completely before carving.
- Serve with red sauerkraut.
Save all the bones and any leftover potatoes and garlic. The carcass should be used to make 1 gallon of chicken bone broth for recipes later in the week. Save all the extra chicken and pan drippings for Chicken Pot Pie on Monday.