Lentil-Turmeric Dal With Caramelized Leeks
- 2 cups red lentils
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp brown mustard seeds
- 2 Tbsp Dr. Cowan's Garden Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- For the caramelized leeks:
- 3 large leeks, cut into small rings and rinsed in cold water till clean
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Put the lentils in a bowl and rinse three times with cold water. Fill the bowl again with cold water, and leave the lentils to soak for 2 hours. Drain off water.
- Meanwhile, make the caramelized leeks: In a skillet, sauté the chopped leeks in the butter till they start to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid is cooked off, about 20 minutes.
- Remove skillet from the heat and set aside.
- To make the dal, place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter or ghee. As it melts, add the ginger and sauté for two minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add cumin seeds, brown mustard seeds and Turmeric Powder and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the drained lentils and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the salt, pepper, tomatoes, caramelized leeks and broth. Bring the soup to a low boil, then turn it down to a simmer. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Test for salt and a bit more, if desired. Remove the pan from the heat. Transfer soup to bowls and garnish with cilantro.