- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée made with Dr. Cowan's Garden Pumpkin Powder (Pour 2 cups boiling water over a heaping half cup of Pumpkin Powder in a bowl. Let sit for at least an hour to thicken, or, cover and refrigerate overnight.)
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 Tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, diced
- ½ pear, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Dr. Cowan’s Garden Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter or ghee over medium-low heat and add onion, chili pepper, pear and salt and pepper. Sauté till onion is soft and fragrant. Add garlic and stir to blend.
- Add the Turmeric Powder and cardamom and stir to combine.
- Add the Pumpkin Powder purée and stir to blend. (Keep the remaining purée covered and refrigerated for other uses.)
- Add chicken bone broth and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add mixture to blender and blend a half-minute or so till soup is puréed. You might need to do this in two batches. (You could also use an immersion blender.) Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Transfer to bowls and top with toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds (or chopped walnuts or pomegranate seeds) and a drizzle of olive oil. Serves 3 to 4.