- 1 large zucchini, julienned or “spiralized,” blanched for 30 seconds
- 1 small acorn squash, baked and flesh scooped out
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 2 strips bacon, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large ripe heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups of red wine
- 2 tsp Dr. Cowan’s Garden Winter Squash Powder
- 1 tsp Dr. Cowan’s Garden Kale Powder
- 1 tsp Dr. Cowan’s Garden Three-Beet Powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, melt the ghee on medium heat. Add the bacon and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add the carrots, garlic, celery and onion all at once and simmer for 5 minutes on medium-low. Reduce heat and add the tomatoes. Simmer on low for 12-15 minutes or until incorporated and sauce-like.
- Add the red wine and simmer for an additional 25 minutes on low. Once reduced by more than half, add the powders and salt and pepper.
- Take pan off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Add the baked acorn squash and the heavy cream and stir vigorously to incorporate.
- Serve over zucchini “noodles.” Top with grated cheese, if desired.
See also: The Nourishing Bowl Recipe