(Contributed by Lea Goode-Harris.)
Please use organic and local if possible!
- 1 Tblsp of lard (butter, ghee, or coconut oil)
- 1 green plantain
- 2 cups of fresh Swiss chard, shredded
- 4 oz of pasture-raised ground pork
- 1/2 tsp of ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp of Dr. Cowen’s Garden Threefold Blend Powder (or any other favorite DCG powders that you have on hand and wish to use)
- 1/4 tsp of Dr. Cowan’s Garden Leek Salt (and a bit more to sprinkle on plantains and Swiss Chard when ready to serve)
- Heat the fat in a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet over medium heat.
- Shred the plantain on a cheese grater and add to the heated fat. Allow one side to crisp before turning with a spatula.
- While the plantains are cooking, mix the fennel and Threefold Blend (Savory) Powder and Leek Salt into the pork sausage; make two small patties about 1/4-inch thick.
- When both sides of the plantains are crispy brown, move them to the side of the pan and add the sausage patties; cook 3 to 5 minutes per side until meat is well done.
- At the very end, add in the Swiss chard and stir well into the remaining fat and juices to wilt the chard.
- When done, remove all three and put on your plate, sprinkling the chard and plantain hash with Leek Salt.
- Serves 1 (Double, triple, etc., amounts for each additional person.)