Oatmeal cookies with cherries and walnuts
- 1 ½ cups Dr. Cowan’s Garden 18th Century Toasted Stone Cut Oats, milled
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup maple sugar
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature, whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup cracked, chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Mix oat flour, buckwheat flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the maple sugar and butter. Mix thoroughly until it is combined and creamy. Add the egg and whisk together. Add the vanilla and mix in.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture in 3 batches mixing to combine each addition.
- Stir in the walnuts and cherries.
- Scoop 1 teaspoon of cookie dough onto a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
- A spice grinder or coffee grinder can be used to make oat flour. Alternatively, use 2 cups of rolled oats.
- Other flavor combinations to try:
- Dried blueberry and candied lemon peel
- Chocolate chunk and espresso
- Dried cranberry and apple
- Cardamom and ginger spice
- Currant and orange rind
- Honey and golden flaxseed