By Esther Boateng
Fancy a sizzling salmon supper? Peek at this quick and easy recipe. Blitz some salmon fillets and a few other ingredients in a food processor, shape them into patties, and pop them in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and slightly golden brown; it couldn’t be simpler. If you’re pressed for time, you can also shallow fry your fishcakes. Either way works beautifully and tastes great garnished with black or white sesame seeds and served with a generous portion of veggies.
If you want tasty, tender fish cakes that burst with flavor, it’s probably best to ditch the canned or packaged salmon, and work with fresh uncooked salmon fillets. I like to add a few herbs, spices, and vegetable powders to my fish cake mixture to give them a little oomph. Get heavy-handed with the Sea-Vegetables, Horseradish, and Wild Ramp powders to boost the flavor and nutritional profile; your taste buds will thank you for it.
- 1lb fresh uncooked salmon
1 tsp.+ Dr.
Cowan’s Garden Sea-Vegetables Powder
Dr. Cowan’s Garden Wild Ramp Powder
- 1 tsp.+ Dr. Cowan’s Garden Horseradish Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Pepper Salt
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh dill or parsley, chopped (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp. Dr.
Cowan’s Garden A2/A2 Ghee
Dr. Cowan’s Garden Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp. black or white sesame seeds (optional)
Dr. Cowan’s Garden Black Sesame Seed Oil (optional)
- Chop the salmon into large chunks and place in a bowl, along with the Sea-Vegetables Powder, Wild Ramp Powder, Horseradish Powder and Pepper Salt.
- Peel the green onions, remove the ends, and chop them finely. Chop the dill or parsley. Crack and beat 2 eggs. Add all these ingredients to the bowl mixture and briefly stir.
- Take a quarter of the mixture and add to a food processor. Blend for only a few seconds. Add back to the remaining salmon mixture and give it one final stir.
- Wet your palms with a bit of water, take a golf size scoop of the salmon mixture, and mold into golf-size balls. Use more water if necessary to make the balls smooth.
- Gently press the balls into patties.
- Place patties in a baking tray and set aside. Leave room between the patties for airflow.
- Melt the ghee in a small pot, then add the Turmeric Powder and stir.
- Use a cooking brush and lightly brush each patty with the ghee mixture.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked and slightly brown. The patties are cooked when they are firm to the touch and no longer pink in the middle.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of black or white sesame seeds and a drizzle of Black Sesame Seed oil and serve.
Blending a quarter of the mixture in a food processor helps it to bind together more easily.