By Esther Boateng
Are you ready for a root veggie medley? Sunchokes, purple potatoes, broccoli garnished with toasted pine nuts, a little seasoning, and perhaps a protein of your choice is all you need to rustle up this recipe.
Chop your vegetables in advance and store them in the fridge to use as and when needed, or buy the pre-packed version. Either way, this is an easy recipe you’ll be sure to re-visit whenever you need a quick fix; it’s beyond simple, and simply delicious.
Fancy a protein, such as shrimp, with your vegetables? No problem. Either prepare it in advance or make it while your root vegetables bake in the oven. Baked chicken or sausage is also a great choice, you can bake these while you roast the sunchokes and purple potatoes. If you don’t fancy broccoli, swap it out with another tasty option, such as sautéed garlic mushrooms, pretty much any vegetable will work with this recipe.
- 4-5 sunchokes
- 4-5 baby purple potatoes
- 6-8 broccoli florets or 1 small head of broccoli
3-4 Tbsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden A2/A2 Ghee
2 Tbsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Burdock Root Powder
1+ tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Pepper Salt or to taste
1 Tbsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Wild Ramp Powder
2 tsp. Dr. Cowan’s Garden Whole-Leaf Dried Thyme, crushed
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or Dr. Cowan’s Garden Crispy
Sprouted Organic Almonds, crushed (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- Salt, to taste
Drizzle Dr. Cowan’s Garden Pumpkin Seed Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse and peel the sunchokes, purple potatoes, and broccoli florets, and cut into small chunks.
- Add ghee to a pan and heat it until melted.
- Add the seasonings to the melted ghee: Burdock, Pepper Salt, Wild ramp, and Thyme, and briefly stir.
- Add the sunchokes and potatoes to the pan and gently swirl until they’re coated in the butter mixture.
- Transfer the sunchokes and potatoes to a baking tray and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until cooked throughout.
- 10 minutes before the baked vegetables are ready, steam or boil the broccoli.
- Place the broccoli in a pan with a small amount of water and let it gently steam or boil for approximately 6-8 minutes, or until cooked throughout.
- Remove the broccoli from the heat and drain the water.
- Add pine nuts to a frying pan and gently heat for 3-5 minutes, or until they start to turn golden brown. Gently swirl the pine nuts to ensure they toast evenly. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the roasted sunchokes and potatoes from the oven.
- Scoop out the inside of an avocado and dice it into small chunks.
- Add the roasted vegetables, broccoli, toasted pine nuts, and diced avocado to a bowl.
- Add salt, drizzle with pumpkin oil, gently toss, and serve warm.
• I like to steam the sunchokes and potatoes for about 15-20 minutes before baking them in the oven.
• If you prefer smaller pieces of thyme, blitz them in a coffee grinder for several seconds.
Leave a comment